'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday 13 February 2010

After playing digitally and still being somewhat incapacitated, I had itchy fingers, so decided to play and get them inky :)

BLEEDING TISSUE TECHNIQUE

tissue supplies

Supplies

  • Cardstock
  • Spritzer filled with water (hopefully, cleaner than mine)
  • Scraps of coloured Tissue Paper

NB – the cheaper the tissue paper the better – more expensive varieties don’t bleed and we want it to bleed…

Instructions

  • Spritz cardstock thoroughly with water.
  • Tear off scraps of tissue in your chosen colours and lay down on the wet card, smoothing down as you go.

bluegreen1

bluepink1

redorange

  • Spray with water again.
  • Leave for a while – depends on how dark you want your card/paper to be – if you want paler colours, then don’t leave for too long, if deeper, leave for longer – then peel off the wet tissue and voilà – Bleeding Tissue Backgrounds!

TIP don’t leave it until it dries or the tissue may stick to the card!

Here are my results – still wet, so I can’t scan them and it’s dark now, so the colours aren’t totally accurate. If you click to enlarge, they do look better and they’ll look a whole lot better once they’re stamped. I love the little veins the crumpled tissue leaves – a bit like mulberry papers when painted with Twinklers.

blue pink paper 2

bluegreenlilacpaper2

redorange paper

bluegreen paper 2

I’ll try to make some cards with them later, all being well. One of the things I wanted them for was to make the Valentine’s card Roni made here. Hers look really good made with Distress inks, but I’m a bit ‘off’ Distress inks at the moment, so thought I’d try something different. I'll be revisiting other 'oldie but goodie' techniques in the next few days, so watch this space.

10 very kind comments from lovely people:

Claire said...

Great technique - I knew all that tissue paper i've hoarded for years would come in for something
TFS
Claire xx

Unknown said...

How original is that - it is really does make a wonderful effect.

Sally H said...

Gorgeous! I love the blue ones especially as they remind me of those underwater shots looking up towards the surface in nature programmes!

cockney blonde said...

What a brill idea, thanks for the explanation. This is more your stuff. The angel card is really pretty but I'm more used to you making a mess, lol, x

lisa said...

This is a great terchnique and you get such delicate results. I love the blue heart cards you've made with them too, just beautiful and a lovely change from red and pink!

Lisax

Cazzy said...

That is lovely, thanks for sharing and I think I will have to have a go at this when I get some tissue paper.

Hels Sheridan said...

Fab art!

Anke said...

Wonderful cards

Anonymous said...

SO great to be reminded of this gorgeous technique. They will make fab cards
Hugs
AngieB

Kirsti said...

I am a sucker for hearts and these are gorgeous...xoxo