'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday 18 June 2018

On one of my blog wandering moments, I came across a Brushos technique that I hadn’t seen before and I really fancied trying….

Given that the current Allsorts challenge is to use at least 2 die cuts, which I rarely use, I thought this may well fit the bill.

You’ll find my inspiration post here.

Here are my die cut cards… I’ve only used two colours of Brusho on each one.

Using 6 die cuts, 2 double stitched squares, 3 flowers and 1 word… the ‘shadow stamped’ flower is a Penny Black iris.

AS 6 DIE CUTS

This one has 3 die cuts…I’ve edited it because it was showing as much darker, but now it’s showing lighter Sad smile The card base is a very deep green/blue – not quite turquoise – one of my favourite colours. Sorry I can’t get it to show up the way it is but this is a little clearer.

AS DIE CUTS 2

This one has 4 die cuts… and is probably my favourite. You can see the Penny Black stamp on the right hand side in the ‘shadow’ stamping.

AS DIE CUTS 3

So I decided to transfer the technique to my journal…

INSPIRED BY BRUSHOS TECHNIQUE

I did get a little carried away with more imprinting in the Brushos while wet, then stamping some background fillers in Broken Twigs and Delicata gold. I also added a little more red and yellow ink (Oxides) because the colours had lightened over the gesso. I used a gold pen afterwards, for a few highlights. I would love to be able to get more of these Sailor rolling ball pens but they don’t seem to be available anywhere! They really do look like gold, unlike most gold inks.

I used an old double ended Zig glue pen that I’ve probably had for 18 or more years on the flowers, and to my delight, it still works! But later, I noticed that some glue was still a little sticky on the pages, so I was worried they may stick together. Ping! I had a thought! Why not add some gold leaf to them…?

BRUSHOS TECH 1A  BRUSHOS TECH 2A

The words are from a Visible Image plate I found at Port Sunny and I love them! I added bits of journalling before and after photographs.

I’d like to link the journalling to the current Art Journal Journey Challenge and the above cards to

Stamping Sensations – Anything Goes

Penny Black and more – In My Garden 

Dragonfly Dreams – Anything Goes

My Time to Craft – Stamped Background

Mix it Up Challenge – Anything Goes

That’s all for now.

Thanks for looking

See you soon

Cath

xxx

21 very kind comments from lovely people:

Gibby Frogett said...

A very inspiring post - ypur cards are really beautiful.
Brusho, stamps and dies are a brilliant combination :)
I love your journal page and the wonderful words and stamps.
I realy appreciate you sharing what inspired you and joining in at AJJ.
Wishing you a good week.
Gill x

brenda said...

A super technique Cathy and one I am going to have to have a play with as it's so effective. Very pretty creations for our challenges at Allsorts, Penny Black and More and Stamping Sensations, my thanks for joining in at all.

B x

junemac2 said...

This is fabulous. Love them all and especially like how it worked out in the journal spread. Totally fabulous. Adding myself to follow your blog. x

sheila 77 said...

I really love your cards with the watercolour effect and the writing, what great backgrounds you've made. The diecuts placed at the side complete them perfectly.
Your journal pages look great with these techniques too.

create.365 said...

I really love the backgrounds on all these cards -so very pretty! Thanks for joining us at MIUCB this month!

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

I absolutely love using Brushos and I usually set my stall out every few weeks to make some new backgrounds as it usually gets very messy but I really like that you never have any idea of how they're going to turn out. Each of your cards and journal pages are works of art in their own right. I love the variations in colour and the inky text in the backgrounds. I treated myself to these dies but I haven't used them nearly as much as I should have done, so thank you for the inspiration here today. Also, Thank you for sharing this with us at Stamping Sensations and good luck. Crafty hugs, Sandra x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful card and Journal spread Cath!! Love the color and texture play here.

froebelsternchen said...

Your designs with the die cuts are so beautiful and I just adore your amazing Art JOurnal spread . This is out of this world beautiful! Totally to my taste!The golden touches are precious! So happy you linked this utterly beautiful spread to our AJJ theme again! So much appreciated dear Cath!Thank you!
Happy new week!
Hugs, Susi

Kathleen said...

Three fabulous cards super images and really lovely backgrounds. Thank you for joining our 'Use two or more dies' challenge this week at Allsorts.

Kath x

Meggymay said...

The Brusho backgrounds for your die cuts loo fantastic. Super cards and a wonderful journal spread. I liked your idea for covering glue spots.
Yvonne xx

hazel said...

Beautiful cards and journal page, I love how you’ve used the brushos - a great technique.
xxx Hazel.

Macarena said...

Your art journal spread is very pretty, the warm and sunny colors are fantastin and the contrasting black wildflowers make it very special. Thank you for joining us over Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful artwork Cath! xx

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous cards Cath, thanks for the link to the Brusho technique, looks great.
I've just been playing with the wildflowers, might have to give this a try.
Love the journal page and the extra gold highlights look fabulous and what a great way to hide the glue.
Avril xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love using Brushos - it's my planned activity for the ladies here in July! These look fabulous Cath, especially the journal page! What a great idea to add gold leaf - I've got pots of that stuff - maybe time to get some out! Love the quotes! Hugs, Chrisx

Anonymous said...

All your creations are absolutely amazing! So striking and pretty!
Thank you for joining us at MIUCB!

Viv said...

Beautiful examples of Brushos, stamps and dies! Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW Cath, your cards are so beautiful ... great use of Brushos.

Hugs
Anke

Mervi said...

Fabulous card, thank you for sharing your creativity over at Penny Black and more;-))m

crafty said...

Lovely card. I'm going to have to try this technique sometime. Thank you for sharing it with us at Dragonfly Dreams.
Mary

K M Meena Herale said...

Stunning cards. Thank you for Joining us at My Time To Craft and waiting to see next time.

Hugs
Meena MTTC DT