'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday 16 June 2018

I love colour and I love the depth achieved by sponging, using whichever type of sponge you prefer, but occasionally, a light touch is preferable and gives a totally different effect.  I know ink brushing has been around a long time, but I never really fancied it until I watched the video Anja linked to, showing brushing inks with cosmetic brushes and really liked the idea…

So I had a play to experiment with them.

This one uses Distress Oxides and a couple of Tatty Button stamps, with a Chocolate Baroque border below. The words are from Stampinback and I coloured Tatty with Prismacolor pencils. The ‘bubble’ effect is from the card – I often stamp on the reverse of hammer cardstock because it seems to take the inks really well.

Addicted to stamps and more has an Anything Goes challenge, so I’d like to link this one.

STOP PLAYING 2 

I had the current  ‘Just Add Ink’ challenge in mind for this one, using the following colours… though of course I used the equivalent colours of Distress here…

30849360_2046752282019973_1848464819_o

MEADOW FLOWERS RESIST

The colours didn’t show up too well because I used glossy card so that I could play with a resist technique from Nancy Curry’s Resist book that I haven’t used for a while. I’m not sure I like the effect of the brushes here….

Next, I played with some of my Brilliance inkpads for a change, this time sponging the inks on and trying to keep (roughly) to the same colour scheme. I decided to reink some of my pads while I was playing, which led to some blotching, but I still liked the effects. I used the same stamps (Tim Holtz mini wildflowers).

I’d like to link this to the Flower Challenge, which is to use one of their previous challenges. I chose ‘Focus on background stamping’.

MEADOW FLOWERS BRILL

Not knowing when to stop, I overstamped one of my crackle stamps, using Brilliance Moonlight White ink.

MEADOW FLOWERS MOSAIC

For this one, I used the brushes again, but this time with standard distress inks, playing with this Canada goose stamp and creating a background for him. I love the subtle colours here. I used some Inkylicious stamps in the foreground and finished off with a light brushing of Gathered Twigs.

For Crafty Creations’ Anything Goes challenge.

NATURE 2

This (Lavinia) Fairy card was sponged with Distress Oxides, but using the two palest colours to keep it subtle; Squeezed Lemonade and Tattered Rose. I managed to lose one of my little ‘shrooms – I’m very good at losing small clear stamps Sad smile  - but I love ‘shrooms, so hopefully it will show up soon! The two shrooms in the centre (ish) is a broken stamp but it still stamps well, even though I have to put the two pieces together every time I use them…. I just love them. Her wings are lightly coloured and glittered.

I’d like to link this to the Anything Goes challenges at:-

Love to Craft

Creative Moments

Dragonfly Dreams and

The Fairy and the Unicorn

MAGIC MOMENTS

And finally, in keeping with the more delicate theme, a simple journal page based on a Bible verse I love… the bottle sketch very rough, but I actually like the whimsical effect.

The verse is ‘You have counted my wanderings, put my tears into your bottle….’ and is from Psalm 56:8, which is my inspiration for the page. I’d like to link it to Art Journal Journey’s ‘Inspired by…’ challenge.

TEARS

I’m off to play some more, in between other bits I need to do.

Thanks for looking

Back soon

Cath

xxx

20 very kind comments from lovely people:

Cath Wilson said...

COMMENTS LINK

froebelsternchen said...

Dear Cath! Each single card here is a WOWSER and I am in awe of your beautiful Psalm inspired page - thank you very much for joining us again at Art Journal Journey with this beautiful entry!
This is much appreciated and we are really great to have you with us!
Happy weekend!
Hugs, Susi

brenda said...

My, my, you have been a bust girl again Kath, so many lovely creation that it's impossible to choose a fav. I too lost my tiny "strooms", bought another and the found them.

B x

craftytrog said...

A marvellous collection of art Cath! Great techniques! I can see why you like that bible verse, it's lovely!
Happy Saturday,
Alison xx

Joan said...

Wow Kath, more fabulous cards, love them all. I lost my small toadstool stamp too but have another in another set. I use Inkylicious brushes but they do take time to build up the colours so I'm inclined to grab sponges if I'm in a hurry.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Cath! This has been lovely catch up - apologies for not visiting sooner - got a bit bogged down! This post has so many beautiful cards - I would be hard pressed if asked for a favourite here ! I do really love the journal page! Hugs, Chrisxx

Meggymay said...

An awesome selection of cards Cath, I love the inky backgrounds and fabulous stamping you used.
The journal page looks and is inspirational.
Have a good weekend
Yvonne xx

hazel said...

Brilliant cards Cath, lovely backgrounds and stamping.
xxx Hazel.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was SO impressed with the beautiful cards you made, and even more important, all the different techniques you used while making them. Of course, I was also thrilled to see your beautiful bible inspired journal page, too. It was great that you have joined us again at Art Journal Journey with this sacred entry.

Gibby Frogett said...

All of your cardss are really stunning and inspiring Cath. Wonderful techniques and what a fabulous selection of atamps you have :)
Your journal page is so beautiful and the words brought a lump to my throat. I would have not known the words were from a Psalm so thank you for that.
Thanks for sharing what inspired you and joining in again at AJJ.
Gill x

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful silhouette stamps and great sentiment---Thank you for joining us at Love to Craft
Carol DT x
Love all your other cards too
Carol x

Mrs.B said...

A lovely collection of cards Cath and all have wonderful inky backgrounds.
Love your journal page, it's such a lovely verse and as Gill said, I didn't realise it was from a Psalm either.
Hope you had a good play time.
Avril xx

My name is Erika. said...

These are just gorgeous cards. And I enjoyed your journal page too. You definitely have a flair for making cards though. happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Rochelle Blok said...

Such a gorgeous card and a fantastic way to use this weeks challenge colours! Loving the bright backgroudn with the white of the emboss resist and the the fabulous contrast of the black makes the sentiment and flowers just pop. Thanks for playing along and supporting us this week at Just Add Ink. Rochelle xo

Rike said...

Wonderful idea to use a Bible verse for inspiration - 'put my tears into your bottle….’ and is from Psalm 56:8 - it became a beautiful page in your journal!
All your other single cards are also very beautiful!

Grietje said...

Lovely stamping. I adore those Lavinia stamps. Thank you for sharing it with us at Creative Moments. Good Luck and hope to see you again next time.

xx Grietje
DT Creative Moments

Jan said...

You’ve been busy creating lots of lovely cards, Cath! I love how the colours blend together so well and the contrast of the black and white images work together to create a fabulous scene. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week.

Maria Rodriguez. said...

This is a beautiful collection of cards, you have indeed been busy, how fabulous.
Love your entry to THE FLOWER CHALLENGE, your background flowers look amazing with the beautiful sponged sky.
Thank you for playing along, hope you play again soon.
Hugs.
Maria Rodriguez.DT

KimB said...

What a lovely array of cards Cath! I love the bold background you created to the field of flowers, and the depth you got by having the flowers in white and black. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

K M Meena Herale said...

Beautiful works. Thank you for playing at Addicted To Stamps and More Challenge. Hope to see you next time.
Hugs xx
DT Meena Herale