'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday 11 May 2012

Bit of a change here because I wanted to do something different, so here’s a Faux Batik card, using one of my favourite stamps from Penny Black, which is also one of my favourite flowers, the Fuchsia. 

If you’ve never tried this technique before, you should.  It’s easy, even though it sounds a little complicated. 

NOTE:  I’VE REWRITTEN THE INSTRUCTIONS BECAUSE I MADE A MISTAKE – SORRY! I DID THIS ONE A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY, WHICH CONFUSED ME.  THESE ARE THE CORRECT INSTRUCTIONS!

You just emboss your image(s) in clear embossing powder, add colour over it (or them) with water based dye inks, then cover with a paper towel and iron until it melts.  You’ll see the EP on the kitchen towel and it will leave a white (ish) image behind, which will also resist inks, if you want to add more colour. 

For this one, I ironed two sheets together before adding the inks, thus getting a reversed image, which I really like for a change.  It also left me with two sheets of faux batik, instead of one! 

If you want to blend your colours a little more, wipe over with a baby wipe or damp cloth – which is what I did here to remove colour from the original image.

Finally, overstamp, as I’ve done below, embossing or not – whichever you prefer.  I layered the background colours for more of a 3D effect, leaving the text background over the original image to make it recede even more.  Then I added white pigment ink through punchinella to add a further dimension.

in bloom

I love resist techniques of any kind, so this is my entry to the Stampman Challenge – favourite technique.

Crazy for Challenges is ‘the garden or outdoors

and

Simon Says Stamp and Show says ‘Show us your favourite stamp’.  As this is one of my all time favourites, it definitely applies.

Port Sunny tomorrow, so I’m about to check that all is well and find out what time we leave.  If you’re going to be there, please do say hello!  I love meeting people there and there are a few to meet from KCUK again, including some people I haven’t seen for quite some time.  Looking forward to that.

Have a great weekend, whatever you’re doing.

xxx

30 very kind comments from lovely people:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Nice spring colors!

Femmy said...

fantastic card!!

flutterbycrafter said...

A beautiful card, love the colours and the stamps you've used xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

I love the interesting background Cath!

greetings, Alie :-)

Deborah said...

Great technique and a fab card, Cath!

Vicky Hayes said...

What a beautiful card Cath! I've not come across this technique before so it'll go on my 'to do' list. Vicky x

Von said...

That's beautiful Cath !
Von x♥x

Bianca Kalksma said...

It's a great result! I want to try this too, soon...

Lynne said...

I love the delicate colours Cath beautiful as ever.
Lynne xx

Liesbeth Fidder said...

Wonderful card !!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I love this stamp too, looks fabulous here against your inky background. Lovely. Tracy x

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

Beautiful card Cath. Nice embossing and cpmosition. love these stamps.
Lovely greet and have a nice weekend.
Marja

Janny Jager said...

Beautiful card Cath
I love the background

Greetings Janny

Paula Whittaker said...

wonderful card and great technique...thanks for the tute.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic card with a great background. Love the colors.

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous colours and a gorgeous stamp over that great background.
Hope you have good day at Port Sunlight. please go and say hello to Jill at the stamp man for me.
Thanks for linking to the Stamp Man’s favourite technique challenge.
hugs {brenda} xox

Gery said...

Wow, Cath, beautifull colours on your card! And the background with your fav technique is super.
Thanx for telling how you did it.
Have yourself a happy weekend.
Groetjes Gery

Marjie Kemper said...

How gorgeous! Have yet to try this and I'm intrigued every time I see it. I just have an aversion to ironing. LOL.

Sally H said...

Two real beauties Cath! I love the colour combo. I have ironed using kitchen roll before, but not on to paper/ card to get another impression. What a great idea! Two for the price of one. Have a great time at Port Sunny

Sandy said...

Wow this is stuuning.
Amazing work and stamping.
Love it.

Have a lovely weekend sweet Cath. xoxo

Jolette said...

Oh, what a beautiful card!
I have to try this!!!

hazel said...

A fabulous card Cath, gorgeous colours and a great technique.
xxx Hazel.

Candy C said...

Your card is lovely. I really love your muted and blended background colors! Love the patterns you've achieved in it as well. The foliage and sentiment stamped in black really stand out against the background! Nice job! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Martina said...

Stunning work. Love your creation, Cath!

Have a nice weekend.
Hugs
MARTINA

sam21ski said...

Another fabulous card Cath and thanks for sharing the technique, another one to put on my to-do list

Sam xxx

Anonymous said...

A beautiful card and fantastic backgrund!
Thanks for the tutorial. I hope you´ve got my mail.

LG siljan

Welkom bij Happy Stamper said...

woooow verry lovely
hugs angelique

Anke said...

Fantastic card Cath.

Hugs
Anke

froebelsternchen said...

Oh wow gorgeous!

WendyK said...

Just love the journal pages, I just don't manage to get round to doing mine. I need a push.