'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday 17 March 2019

The current challenge at CAS Mixup is Faux Stained Glass. I'd never heard of this technique before, so I had to give it a go... I love the challenge of CAS because it's not my usual 'go to' type of art.  My default mode is to throw (not usually literally - though I'd love to be one of those artists who CAN do that) inks or paints at paper or card and work with the results 😉 So it's a totally different approach for me.

I must confess that I did NOT find this easy... I chose a die cut which is probably a little too large, with lots of fiddly bits, which then needed a lot of adhesive (I learned just how easily card stretches and breaks when wet) and a lot of filling with Glossy Accents - eek! I think I'll search harder for  my d/s adhesive and try the Clear embossed version next time 😊 and maybe throw a little UTEE in there. I'm really pleased I tried it, though. Thanks so much, ladies. I appreciate the prompting and the very helpful links.

I attached the die cut to white card first, then coloured with blended Copics before adding the next 3 layers. I then applied LOTS of Glossy Accents - which seemed to shrink when dry - and finally, when that dried, another layer of die cut. I used a Copper Pearly pen for the centre. I'd messed up the white base with glue, so I had to cut around the die cut - not easy with so many layers - and attach to another piece of card, using lots of very strong d/s tape, then onto a yellow card, cut to leave a very fine border on three sides. 
If I try this again, I'll definitely be using a smaller image! I hope its size doesn't disqualify me from the CAS bit of the challenge. The word stamp is from a Simon Says Stamp set of words I use a lot.

The first image is a photo taken on a very dull day, but the colours are truer. The second is a scan, which makes it look lighter than it actually is. The card is very 'in your face' yellow, lol.



Thanks for the challenge and challenge it certainly was!

Thank you for calling in...

Hopefully, I'll be back soon

Cath
xxx

13 very kind comments from lovely people:

crafty-stamper said...

Great CAS card love the die-cut sunflower and sounds like a very fiddly technique but it turned out brilliantly
Carol x

brenda said...

Might not be your normal route to artwork Cath, but looks pretty good to me, very effective in fact, one of those you want to be 'touchy -feely' with as it looks so textural.

B x

My name is Erika. said...

This card came out amazing Cath. It looks like a lot of work. I am with you on the patience it takes to make it. I like to throw on paint and items also. But your effort was well worth it! Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Wow - I can tell you that it simply looks stunnning! A brilliant design! Happy new week Cath!

Susi

Meggymay said...

Wow, it was well worth your hard work to create this card, it looks gorgeous Cath.
Yvonne xx

Mac Mable said...

I am so very glad you persevered with this vibrant and eye catching card. The colours are amazing and so is the technique and your your beautiful card x. Thank you for joining in The CAS Mix Up Challenge with this beauty x

Caty said...

Wualaaa Cath... this card is just Amazing !! I love the sunflower, you may have patience to create it, but, the result is spectacular !! Really wonderful !
I wish you a very nice week
Big hugs, Caty

Loll said...

Hi Cath. Amazing job with the faux stained glass technique. Your funflower is absolultely gorgeous. Glad you persevered with this card because it is truly beautiful. I love the deep yellow outline and the copper accents. Your petals are so pretty with all the shine of the glossy accents. Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is amazing Cath, it always surprises me when we take a route unknown how fab the effects can be. This was well worth taking!! Beautiful card.
Creative Hugs Tracey xx

Neet said...

Challenge or not it certainly turned out absolutely fabulous. Even on here you can see the texture. Cath, that is stunning! Must go and read how to do it.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Sounds fiddly but...... Oh My! What a result! Definitely a good day to smile! Hugs, Chrisx

Bonnie said...

Your perseverance paid off, Cath! This sunflower is gorgeous and it does make me smile! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Jo said...

Lots of hard work paid off with a card so beautiful succeeded. I love the depth of this card and the monochromatic hue, definitely a sunshine card. So happy you joined us at CcAS Mix Up! xx