'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday 21 September 2019

The colours of Autumn are now starting to display and aren't there some beautiful leaves around? 
As the flowers decay, it's just beautiful to see fresh colours. So, I made a couple of leafy cards.

The first uses Bee Crafty's Oak leaves - or one oak leaf - the other one is huge and would work best for journalling or for a full card (ping!). They're lovely stamps and I did mean to go back for the other set, but of course I forgot. I always feel guilty for buying leafy stamps because I have collected them ever since I began stamping (over 20 years now) and having a bit of a leaf and tree fetish 😎 I have LOADS! But fresh ones always inspire. 

I made this using one of my standard autumn leaf methods, stamping in Adirondacks or Distress inks (Oxides this time), then blending the colours with a damp paintbrush. I made the mistake of stamping over a couple with Gathered Twigs and wish I'd pulled out my Adirondacks now and used Currant or Raisin! I love their reds. The GT looks a little TOO dark and I did it by 'eyeballing' instead of being precise with my stamping platform, which didn't quite work out as well as I'd hoped. I still like it, though 😊 The colours I used were Aged Mahogany, Toasted Marmalade, Mustard Seed and Fossilised Amber, with a hint of Festive Berries.



This one I actually stamped last year on hot pressed watercolour paper, but decided I'd made too many leafy cards. I fussy cut the edges on one side and coloured with Inktense Pencils, but my beautiful clean paper ended up spotted with colour, so I continued to fussy cut, then edged with black Pitt pen and glued to a blank white card. I added a little strip of faux stitched edging and stamped the PB words above to complete, attaching to a warm rush coloured card after layering onto black.



Thinking of the challenge over at Stamping Sensations - Flowers - I made this echinacea card.This is one of my favourite flowers and I know they come in lots of colours, but I chose to keep them white, like daisies. The background is a Stampington cube stamp I've had for a LONG time and a couple of Tim Holtz fragments, with a little grey stencilling, too. I started it when making a few pink and grey backgrounds, so I finished it off in the same colours, fussy cutting the flowers and adding length to the stems.The larger background stamps were designed by Isa Norris, who seems to have gone onto other things these days. Yes, I've had them a long time.



This was a delight to make...I enjoyed it so much, doodling a few more waves and adding colour as and when I felt like it. I love it's imperfection! The words in the background are from a Donna Downey stencil - I removed the colour with a babywipe, after playing around a little with that technique à la CAS stencil...but no, this isn't in any way CAS. The image just fitted the words perfectly and although I wanted to paper piece over the girl, I chose not to so that the words would show through. I've added a whiter tail to the 'Y' which I'd inadvertently coloured over! I also added some paper piercing around one of the waves and the whale...as well as a couple of stitched edge frame cuts on the sides - just for the Inkspirational Challenge, but it was a nice change. I don't do much paper piercing at all!


I'm happy to play in the following challenges:-

Allsorts, Trees and Leaves

Inkspirational, Paper Piercing

Cards 4 Galz, Welcome Autumn/Fall

Mod Squad, Stencilled Background

Always Fun Challenge, Autumn Colours

Country View Challenges, Under the Sea (under, in?)

Penny Black Satruday Challenge, Use something old/neglected - Jumbo Rollagraph stamp, um

Moo Mania & More, Autumn Glory

Thank you so much for calling in today

Back soon

Cath
xxx

28 very kind comments from lovely people:

Gail said...

This is amazing card - thanks for linking up your lovely stenciled background card to Mod Squad - have a blessed week!

crafty-stamper said...

All fabulous cards love the rich Autumn colours and great sentiment,and the beautiful Autumn leaf border-gorgeous flowers stamp and background and great paper piecing on the last one
Carol x

Lynda said...

Fabulous colours on the leaves card and I love the muted edges - even the Gathered Twigs looks very striking. Thank you for joining us at Cardz4Galz :) Lynda DT

My name is Erika. said...

I get the leaf and tree stamps. How can anyone not love them? You made some fabulous leaf/autumn cards. And the whale and girl card is really unique and clever too. We are starting to get some color here in New Hampshire but today felt so much like a gorgeous summer day I forget that fall is almost here. But give it a couple of days and I will forget about summer again. Happy rest of your weekend Cath. Hugs-Erika

brenda said...

Another bumper post Cath full of lovely inkiness.

Never apologise for having too many leaf or tree stamps, that said by a confirmed treeaholid! I always think you can do so much with them, they can be the focal element of make a beautiful background. Your first card is so full of rich warm colours and the technique has worked beautifully and yes the larger leaf in the set is huuuuge.

The second card is stylish and elegant and just proves the versatility of leaves. I recall you doing a pink and grey card before and thinking how lovely and subtle the colours looks and this one as well, I am going to get out my pinks and greys as I think they will make a nice alternative for the samples I'm working on (can't say what right now). And great quirkyness on the last one.

As always it's so nice to see you joining in our challenges at Allsorts and Stamping Sensations, many thanks.

B x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your first two cards SCREAM autumn. They really put me in the mood. You can never have too many tree or leaf stamps. And you use them so well, too.

I especially like the colors you chose for the echinacea card. They look good in their white daisy like color. You always made the most beautiful cards, dear Cath.

María said...

Those two first cards are perfect for autumn, this is my favourite season of the year so you can imagine I love them. The echinacea card is so delicate and elegant, I love the mixture of colours you've used. And the last one is so whimsical with the girl, the waves and the whale, beautiful.

María, xx.

Rosie said...

Absolutly beautiful artwork, Cath

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Billie A said...

Very pretty cards. Love the autumn card that fit perfect for our challenge at Always fun challenge.
Billie A
Always Fun Challenges
Catch The Bug
Creative With Stamps
Aud Sentiments
Colour Crazy Challenge
Creations In Pink
Do-Al(l)Kreatives
Crafty Gals Corner
Crafty Catz
Crafty Sentiments

Dora said...

Great flowers on the beautiful background.
Other cards are very pretty as well.
Thank you for joining at Stamping Sensations this month.

Sally H said...

All absolutely gorgeous, Cath! I think between you me and Brenda, we may have the makings of a tree-a-holic group,lol, and there is no such thing as too many! Love what you have done with the Bee crafty leaves, and that sentiment is one of my favourites. Your daisies are really beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing them with us for our floral theme at Stamping Sensations this month and Good Luck!

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous autumn cards Cath, the others are lovely as well.
Yvonne xx

Dawn Phillips said...

Beautiful cards. I love the inspirational quote on the top one. Thanks for joining us at Cardz4galz. Love Dawn x

froebelsternchen said...

Such beautiful cards dear Cath!
Thank you for joining us at Moo Mania & More! Happy new week!
Susi

Marjut said...

Lovely cards!

Linby said...

Beautiful work. I love the depth of colour you achieved on the first one so much.
Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.
Lynn x
DT

Jane said...

Lovely cards..thanks for linking up your sweet whale one to our under the sea challenge over at country view xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful artwork.

Let's Art Journal said...

What beautiful card! I love your autumn leaves and the flowers look stunning too 😁. Wishing you a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

Cazro said...

Your autumnal card is stunning. The background is gorgeous, such depth and texture. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz. Caz. DT.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Lovely pieces, one and all!

rachel said...

Lovely makes one and all - love the last one for my challenge! Thanks for joining us at Countryview Challenges and good luck! Hugs rachel xx

Shauna said...

Such a beautiful array of cards! Your use of technique and the depth of color in your designs is lovely! I particularly like how you incorporated the paper piercing in your waves. Thanks for playing with us at Inkspirational!
- Shauna

Viv said...

Beautiful makes Cath. Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations!

Corrie Herriman said...

How lovely ! Thank you so much for joining in our September Challenge over at Country View Challenges ! Corrie xxx

cm said...

Your autumn cards are gorgeous in capturing the splendour of the leaves as they change season. Your daisies: beautiful! Your encouragement card is a whimsical delight with the various images/techniques. Your piercing is a fabulous subtle touch (and truth be told: I don't do paper piercing at all...I let the dies do the work *grin*). Thrilled to see your creativity in the Inkspirational gallery!
~carol

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous Autumn cards Cath! I have quite a few leaves but they are outnumbered by tree stamps! ! Love the Whale surfing girl!! Hugs, Chrisx

Helen said...

Fabulous cards!
Thanks so much for playing at the Penny Black Saturday Challenge!
Helen x