'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday 9 July 2019

Good morning, peeps!

Today, we have a new challenge from

COLOURS OF THE RAINBOW!!!

We'd love you to have fun with colour...
and to see rainbow colours on your art of any kind, using any medium you prefer...
*******
Colour is my favourite thing - the brighter the better - and rainbow colours my second favourite...
...so this challenge is definitely a winner for me 😀

I've already shared a couple of cards made with the XL Inkylicious Splatter background, but today, I thought I'd share a mini tutorial, to show you how easy it is to use.
It's worth watching the videos linked on the above page link, too - I did 😉 and enjoyed them.

I started with the stamp on my stamping platform, inking it up with Distress Oxide inks, using the side of the inkpad in stripes, just like a real rainbow 😊then spritzing with water and letting the inks blend for a few seconds. 

I used Candied Apple, Carved Pumpkin, Fossilised Amber, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean, Blueprint Sketch and Wilted Violet, some of which are drier than others, as you can see...



Spritz with water, then allow the inks to blend for a few seconds... and stamp.

I did take photos of the stamped card, but it looks as if I've accidentally deleted them and (for once) emptied the recycle bin - oops! Sorry...😞

But here's the result on a completed OLC (One Layer card) using Invisible Image stamps. I kept it simple because I didn't want to cover up the beautiful rainbow circle. For some reason, Visible Image and Inkylicious stamps often seem to work really well together. I think they work particularly well in this instance because VI stamps seem to scream out for bold, bright colour! 
I'm playing with Shopping our Stash's One Layer Card Challenge with this one.

This one is done in exactly the same way, but using Distress inks (same colours). I used simple images from That's Crafty - Lynne's lovely designs. I edited this because I got the two results mixed up and only just realised...I wondered why those DIs had blended better than the Oxides...
I'm playing with A Place to Start's ATG challenge with this one.

Here's another one made with Oxides.
I wanted to make one with just words, to show how easy it is to make quick, bold cards with backgrounds you have ready made with this stamp. It really is a great stamp 😊
 I cut these words up to give me more options in using them, but it wasn't so easy to get them all centred... and I lost the last word for over an hour...that's what you get for working in as much disorder as I do! I'm sure there's a Bermuda triangle hidden in my craft room...you wouldn't believe how often I lose stamps (or images) I've just used! 
I was still going to post it but it does look better with all the words...😊

These are the stamped results together... It really is worth making a whole load of them while you're at it...I played a little at using it like a gelli plate - you can see a couple of those attempts below.


And here's one using my favourite three colours together... Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers and Wilted Violet around the edges. I used Lavinia's Sebastian stamp for this one and decided to make it a Thank you card, so I can play with Make My Monday's Thank you Challenge. I drew rough circles with a Staedtler black pen, filling them in with Signo White Gel pen for the bubbles. I may add more white gel pen in more of the gaps of the sea horse stamp...I'm also playing with Simon Says Monday challenge's Life on the Ocean waves...my seahorse is IN the ocean, so I hope that works! And with Challenge Up Your Life's Vitamin Sea challenge 😊


You can see that the inks bled a little on the card - I don't think it matters, but you may need to watch out for that if it would bother you.

Sorry it's such a photo heavy post, but I thought you may like to see how easy it is to use and some of the ways I've used the results, as well as those I've already shared.

Please do go see the gorgeous works of art created by the Try it on Tuesday Design Team...and we look forward to seeing your interpretation! The challenge ends 2 weeks from now, so there's lots of time...

Thank you so much for your visit...

I'll be back soon...

Cath
xxx

26 very kind comments from lovely people:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

NOW I get it, Cath. It's a stamp!! Duh. I guess my blond moment was showing. I love the beautiful rainbows you created. They are all wonderful and so are each of your cards.

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW fantastic idea and I love your backgrounds, Cath. Wonderful cards.

Hugs
Anke

Marjut said...

Wow, These are wonderful rainbows cards!

My name is Erika. said...

That is a clever way to make a rainbow. I haven’t done that in maybe a decade and I’m glad you are smart enough to use it. For one because it create such a cool effect and also because you reminded me I should try it again Loving all your cards. They look great. Hugs Erika

Rosie said...

Just gorgeous, Cath

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what amazing cards! I love your rainbow of colours and the technique that you used is fabulous, I will definitely be trying this ...lol 😉. Thanks for the inspiration! I hope you are keeping well and wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs, Jo x

María said...

Wonderful cards I love them, and thanks for sharing how you've made the background, it creates a great effect. Hugs.

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous array of cards Cath, that splatter stamp looks very useful. Love the rainbow backgrounds and it makes a wonderful inky background for the seahorse.
Avril xx

Sally H said...

Lovely! I particularly like the sax player. Was wondering how long you resisted the XL splatter circle after you told me not to tempt you in March, lol.

Pink Panoply said...

Wow, Cath. You've created some masterpieces with your bright distress inks. I love the sentiment with the ballerina on your TIOT DT card. Absolutely gorgeous! xo Nancy

Meggymay said...

Fantastic cards Cath the images and look super on the colourful backgrounds.
Yvonne xx

Anonymous said...

Wow, how much fun was that creating all those awesome backgrounds!
Great cards.
Thanks for joining us at A Place to Start this month.
Scarlett xoxo

froebelsternchen said...

Bothcards so beautiful Cath! GORGEOUS! Happy rest of the week for you!
Hugs, Susi

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous post Cath! I love how you made the rainbows with your spatter stamp - your cards all look so brilliant!
Yes, we had a great time travelling around France and practising my French which improved(I think) as the visit progressed! I did have one moment when two girls in a shop were discussing my accent and said I sounded cute! One of them spoke English and I asked her what is was that made me sound 'cute', apparently it was my 'r' pronunciation so I doubled my efforts after that!!! Big hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

Never ever apologise for an abundance of cards made by you Cath. These are truly gorgeous and I want to try this technique. It would be hard to choose a favourite and I honestly cannot as they are all utterly gorgeous.
You are so right, the technique lends itself to VI stamps so much.
Thanks for sharing such loveliness.
Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

Great technique Cath! Your cards are fabulous! x

Donna said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh a fabulous collection of cards, that background stamp is just awesome!
Thanks for joining the crew at SHOPPING OUR STASH for the dreaded one layer challenge!

Rachelle Oltean said...

OMG - that is a FABULOUS background stamp and thanks for the tutorial! What wonderful card designs - I really appreciate you sharing this with us at A Place to Start! : )
Rachelle - DT@APTS

Janeen from DemiDoodle.com said...

Thanks for sharing your thank you card at Make My Monday!

Janeen
Design Team at Make My Monday Challenge Blog
www.demidoodle.com

Meihsia Liu said...

Your creation is so fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

That is a cool technique to create rainbow backgrounds, and others! I'm going to need to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing, as well as for your visit to my blog and your kind words. Blessings!

Sue - said...

I love your seahorse card, gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Make My Monday.

Chana Malkah said...

A great technique employed here and I love all of the results! I will have to give this a try!
Thanks so much for playing along with us at A Place to Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner/Designer
A Place to Start Challenge Blog
613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog

Rika said...

Beautiful cards!

Aimeslee Winans said...

I am Pinning this - tons of useful info! BUT, Cath, you are torturing me with that Splatter Circle stamp because Inkylicious does not ship to the USA nor does anyone that I can find carry the brand over here. TORTURING ME!!!! :-(((
haha I'm bleeding over here!!! Guess I'll have to email those Asian copycatters who sell on Amazon to copy this stamp - bwahahaha! XOXOX

fliki said...

Wow- so many wonderful cards.
The seahorse is very nice!
Thank you for joining Challenge Up Your Life.