'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Friday 14 February 2020

Hello!
Happy Valentine's Day!
I found this quite pretty background in amongst my stash and thought I'd use it up. It was the result of using a stencil on glossy card, with Versamark ink, to create a resist effect. Unfortunately, I have no idea which inks I used on it, but I'd guess not Distress inks because of the stronger colours. The BIG - for me - drawback of DIs is that they fade. That said, I know this was only made towards the end of the year, so it hasn't had a lot of time to fade, but glossy card is a totally different animal and doesn't absorb colour like matte card.
The experiment worked really well. The resist effect worked beautifully and I was happy with it. So I chose a Brilliance Trio pad to colour coordinate and stamped Art Journey words on one side, followed by the main image from the same set, using Permanent Document Ink. The words on the right are from Stampendous - clear embossed with Spectrum. The beauty of Brilliance inks is that they create a barrier and a perfect resist effect...even through permanent ink. Sometimes it's a distinct disadvantage! Had I thought about it, I may well have stamped her onto matte card, coloured and cut her out - but I didn't. Fortunately, I like the effect  😊😊
The resist pattern is a heart and swirls stencil, but I covered most of it up, so I decided to use toning heart brads - then changed my mind and used punchies.
You can see the Brilliance resisting the ink here... it has a lovely, pearly sheen. I really ought to use them more.
I was really intrigued by Linda's post, showing this technique, so I had to try it out...especially as I found some nice, large tags while sorting through stash. Linda's results are FAR more colourful than mine but I know I was heavy handed with the white acrylic, so I'll try to improve on them.

Basically, you paint a base layer of dark paint - black or, as Linda also used, dark brown - let it dry, spray with water based inks, let it dry, then stencil some white paint over the top - and let it dry. It's fun and the results are pretty cool!
I'm still in 'must use up all my bits of card and paper' mode, so I used whatever was in my die cuts and words stash, refusing to stamp anything new. I really must stop cutting 10 or more of every new die I get! I've had this silky sari ribbon for YEARS!
Linking to 
Sweet Stampin, All you need is love
Allsorts, Add a Heart
Daring Cardmakers, Someone or Something you love
Alphabet Challenge, W for Anything you wish
Ellibelle's Corner, Add a Sentiment
Retro Rubber, Love (stamps over 10 yrs old)
Day of the Month Card Club, Send a Card to a Friend Day!

Thank you for calling in today
Back soon
Cath
xxx

19 very kind comments from lovely people:

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous background and love the colours-great sentiment and love the silhouette stamp
Carol x

Kathleen said...

A lovely background and image, super sentiment. Thank you for joining our 'At least one heart' challenge at Allsorts.

Kath x

Linby said...

You've created a great background and the stamps look fab on it. Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts.
Lynn x
DT

María said...

Those backgrounds are beautiful. You've chosen a great colours, they are perfect to create contrast with the stamps and stencils. Hugs, María.

meg said...

thank you for joining in at the Alphabet Challenge with this gorgeous card, love the background image and fabulous sentiment

Marjut said...

Beautiful card and tags.

My name is Erika. said...

Nice card. I do like that image Cath. It is a classic. And I have to say I have been wanting to try that technique. Now I really want to try it. Your tags look amazing. You really do know how to work with ink and other media. Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day and have a super weekend too. Hugs-Erika

Dawn Phillips said...

Gorgeous. Especially that sentiment. I hope you are blessed with such friends. Thanks for joining us at The Alphabet Challenge. Love Dawn x

Mrs.B said...

Lovely card Cath, I do like the colours of the background. The tag backgrounds look good, haven't tried this technique, looks interesting, thanks for the inspiration.
Have a great weekend.
Avril xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous technique and inspiration! I love the soft colours with the black stamping too, the images are so pretty 😁. I hope you had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Dawn said...

Such a lovely card, I love the sentiment. The technique you have used is amazing. Thanks for joining in at Daring Cardmakers. x

papierelle said...

I love this saying, it's so true. Your design of the card fits the saying perfectly. Thank you for joining with us at DotMCC. We hope we see you next month again. Gundi

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is so effective, I love the colour too! I want to try Linda technique too...not sure when as our calendar only has two empty days this month and I think they will have to be shopping days!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Miri said...

It's a great card! I love your self-made background and the colour combination you used.
Thanks for sharing your lovely piece of art with the Daring Cardmakers this week.

Claire Grantham said...

I love your card and your tags, the techniques are fun and I am totally going to try these out! Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber this time. Claire DT

Rosmarie said...

Fabulous background, sentiment and technique! I love that the text goes through the image, it gives a really nice effect! Thank you so much for playing along with us at DotMCC! Rosi x

Aimeslee Winans said...

Cath, love those tags and your square resist card is gorgeous - seriously, it's even prettier that the letters are showing onto the girl's silhouette. Very cool. LOL, I happened upon this quality of Dylusions inks whilst making something last year. I even sprayed a fixative over the Dylusions and it still seeped up into the white paint. LOL XOX

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Such a wonderful sentiment and a dreamy background, love it! Thank you so much for playing along with us at DotMCC! Hugs, Cornelia

Ellibelle said...

Super creations! Loving these colors and gorgeous designs!
Thanks so much for joining in at my Crafty Wednesday challenge! Hope you check out the new theme starting tomorrow, March 4th!
Ellibelle's Corner