'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday 18 September 2018

What a great challenge over at TIOT – Slap it on!

I had a great playday, with Gesso and inks, experimenting with Oxides over Gesso and creating a bit of texture with some of my favourite leafy stamps.

My page didn’t work out quite as I’d planned, but I still like the end result.

SIOSCAN

I’d decided to take photos as I played, so here they are:-

First some scribbles with Neocolor watercolour pastels, then painted with water.

SIO1 SIO3

You may wonder why I bothered with that when you see the next step… but so did I, to be honest Winking smile

I applied gesso to the page, which I need to water down a little, but I needed to build it up around the edges, so I left it as it was. I then stamped leaves into the parts where I’d slapped it on thickly, to create some texture. Next, I started to add ink – Oxides – in autumn shades…

SIO4 SIO5

…building up colour gradually, and spritzing with water and drying with a heat tool between colours, then overstamping with various leaf stamps in the same shades of Oxide.

Finally, some touches of Gold (Delicata and Treasure Brass) and Autumn words stamped randomly, with the quote in the centre.

SIO7 SIO9

Final result… I’ll show a photo and a scan side by side. It was hard to photograph the shading because the gold bits were reflecting! Neither is totally accurate.

SIO10 SIO SCAN1

While creating the page, I did another page next to it but started by stamping off the gesso from the stamps, so that there were some gessoed bits and just added Oxides over the top.  The rest of it was completed as above.

AUTUMN 1B AUTUMN 1C

SLAP IT ON 2  SLAP IT ON 2C

Side by Side…

20180915_173458

It was so much fun getting messy with Gesso – something I haven’t done for a while.

I do hope you’ll join us over at TIOT for this fortnightly challenge – it’s a great chance to get messy!

The Throwdown Tuesday challenge is to ‘Add Texture’, so I’d like to enter that with my page along with That’s Crafty’s  Forever Autumn Challenge.

See you soon!

Thanks for looking

Cath

xxx

15 very kind comments from lovely people:

froebelsternchen said...

Wow - that's a fantastic page Cath and how nice to show the steps and progress! Simply gorgeous!
Hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous layers of colour and texture. We should have touch screens to feel the sufrace of pages like your beauty. I really liked seeing the photos of the stages as well.
Yvonne xx

brenda said...

Lovely inkiness Cath so great with the photos showing how you built it all up to end up with a super juornal page. As the poster above said, how good if our touch screns allowed us to reach out and feel it.

The only thing my touch screen seems to do for me is when a fly lands on it and opens up all sorts of thing, or as with a couple weeks ago posted something I was scheduling for one of the challenges in October - honest the split second on the wrong part of my screen and there is was for all to see!

B x

Rosie said...

Wow, Cath, you page is absolutely beautiful.

Have a wonderful week

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful autumnal page! I enjoyed seeing how you created it too, it looks like you had loads of fun 😁. Wishing you a lovely week! J 😊 x

Mrs.B said...

Fabulous Autumnal pages Cath, loved seeing the two side by side. Gorgeous colours and I love the added textures on the first. Thanks for sharing the process pics.
Avril xx

Helen Pigott said...

Cath, your photos are fabulous. To get that look of depth you have to use many layers even if you cover most of them up, there will always be a little bit that comes through.
Thanks for joining us for this months 'Forever Autumn' Challenge at That's Crafty!
Helen x

Joan said...

stunning pages Kath, beautiful colours and textures


Joan x

Marjut said...

Wonderful page. Beautiful autumnal colours.

hazel said...

A wonderful page Cath, l love seeing how it all came together.
xxx Hazel.

Words and Pictures said...

I think the layers always add to the depth of the finished page - even if they seem to vanish sometimes! Love that you have the fabulous textures of scrunched leaves as well as the colours and shapes.
Alison x

chrissie said...

Fantastic and inspiring ideas on both pages

Thank you for commenting at Jumbled Crafts

Love Chrissie xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love everything about this Cath, you've used so many of my favourite mediums. Amazing pages...
Creative wishes Tracey.

Caty said...

This is an absolutely wonderful Art journal page Cath !! I love this so gorgeous background you have created, love the colours and the leaves !!
Thank you very much for your fabulous tutorial, it ´s great!
Thanks so much for your kind comments in my blog.
I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugs, Caty

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love how these layers built up Cath!The colours look so rich! Hugs, Chrisx