'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday 17 March 2020

Good Morning!
Time for a new challenge from Try it on Tuesday
and today that challenge is
Home Sweet Home/Where Would you Like to Live?

My first thought was that it had to be France, my favourite place. But I've already tried living in France for a short while and, although I loved every minute of being there, speaking French, I missed my friends and family too much (as did my elder son) and came back 'home'. I considered an imaginary place - that was tempting - or another part of the UK, the Scottish Isles, maybe. But my heart kept coming back to the people I care about and the truth that I feel 'at home' when I can relax and just be me, usually with the people I have shared history with, even if that history is more recent with some.

The background is a gorgeous blend of bright Oxide shades, over which I used a baby wipe through a couple of stencils to remove some of the colour. This technique works best when you use a lot of ink and the colours are quite intense.

I added some stamped and fussy cut Stampendous Houses, coloured with Prismas and Inktense pencils, then some Die cut letters and single letter stamping on white card, making the words 'Wherever I can be me is Home'. The heart is cut with a VERY old Sizzix die - one of my first, given to me with my old red Sizzix - a long time ago. I stencilled a little colour on it, to detract from its plainness and used it in place of the letter 'O'.
I used washi tape at the bottom to represent grass. It's now a page in a journal. 
Colours used are Picked Raspberry, Salty Ocean, Mustard Seed and Toasted Marmalade.

I hope you'll visit the Challenge Home Page and see the Design Team's beautiful creations - so much variety. 
We'd love to see where your heart calls home and look forward to seeing your fabulous entries in the next two weeks.

Thank you for calling in today
Back soon
Cath
xxx

16 very kind comments from lovely people:

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful journal page and I love the sentiment behind it too! Those oxides worked beautifully with the stenciling and the way you used the heart for the "o" is perfect 😀. Take care and sending happy wishes your way! Hugs, Jo x

Helen said...

Gorgeous art journal spread! LOVE the colors and thoise houses... perfect!! ((HUGS)) Helen

Rosie said...

Wow, a gorgeous page, Cath

Meggymay said...

A wonderful card Cath. I have to agree about being happy at home, There are many places I think i may have liked to live, but home will always get my vote.
Yvonne xx

froebelsternchen said...

I love the page .. I love the vibrancy , the houses and how you used the heart!!
Gorgeous!

Big hugs
Susi

My name is Erika. said...

That's my idea of my home too. And it is a fabulous sentiment for your card Cath. I do love how different people have different takes on this idea. Living in France must have been exciting. I have always wanted to live away, but like you I want to be near the ones I love so I never even tried it. Your card is amazing. I love the colors and those adorable little houses. Stay healthy Cath. Hugs-Erika

brenda said...

THose bright and happy colours are perfect to brighten these worrying and gloomy days Cath.

B x

marilyn said...

What an absolutely delightful piece of artwork with a fabulous sentiment! You could package and sell this one...over & over again! Thank you for a day brightener..and we certainly need one here in the San Francisco area where we are under a "shelter in place" order for THREE weeks! Gads.

María said...

Wow I love that fantastic background with those rich colours and those houses they're very original. Wonderful page. María, xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous journal page Cath, love the bright and cheerful background with the quirky houses. I agree with you, there's no place like home and home has got to be where you feel safe and happy and at peace with yourself.
Stay safe and take care.
Hugs, Avril xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Cath! You are so right! Dreams are dreams and I am definitely happy where we are right now...although ask me again in 3 months time! ;-) I love how you made this background and that is a lovely row of houses! Great idea to use the heart in your word! Take care, Hugs, Chrisx
ps sorry it's taken till now to get here!

Marjut said...

Beautiful page!

DVArtist said...

The art is beautiful. Food and supplies fly off the shelves here. I will go to our local store on Sunday at 7AM when they open. It is the only time to get things. We need to stay in touch with each other via internet. It is a life safer for some. Stay safe.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Cath! How are you holding up? We are doing fine. I love your art piece. I hope that's to put in a frame because it should be in one. And just think, how fitting it is for our current situation. :-) It's comforting to know when you're forced to be at home, you actually like it. It is for me. :-) XOXOX

Words and Pictures said...

Those quirky little houses are great and I love the rainbow background - just the kind of good cheer we need right now.
Alison x

Neet said...

Such a bright and beautiful background Cath. This really is a cheerful card in so many ways. It cheers me to know you are happy with your life and content to be in your own home surrounded by friends and your children.
The way you have written your message is fabulous - it would never have occurred to me to do it that way - genius|!
Bright, bold house tops and doors just finish it off perfectly and I like the way you used washi tape to ground the homes.
Hugs, Neet xx