'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday 31 March 2020

We have a great new challenge for you this time over at Try it on Tuesday.
The Beauty of Nature!
What better theme to concentrate on at this current time. 
As we all try to go about our everyday lives as best we can, separated from the people we love and the friends we 'do life; with, it's good to focus on the good things around us and the beauty and peace in them. Nature goes on and seasons change... and nothing stops that. I hope you're able to enjoy a little of that blessing, even though we're not allowed to spend much time outdoors. My bulbs are in full flower and more stunning every day...I thank God for that blessing! Focus on the good things and celebrate beauty instead of the fear and panic filling the News channels at the moment. Life may not be perfect but it's still good!

I decided to try something different this time, so I took a (sun)flower stencil and applied some ordinary, everyday filler paste that I'd bought to try out. I'm always disappointed with my stencil paste attempts but this worked wonderfully, although I did sand it down very gently to get it perfectly smooth.
I then added some Distress Oxides (Cracked Pistachio and Shaded Lilac, with a little Wilted Violet) to my work surface, sprayed with water and smooshed the card with them. Stamping some background texture with stamps complete my background. A little shading between the petals, using a grey brush pen, and a little Wilted Violet sponged  around their edges makes the flower stand out a little more, along with some white gel pen to highlight. I used my labeller to print 'The wonder of', then stamped and clear embossed the word Nature, to complete it. Adding the black and white layers just seemed to pull it all together and show off the beautiful pastel shades.
I took some photos as well because I was frustrated that the scan made it appear debossed, showing the flower in relief instead of standing out...it always does that with dry embossing, too. 
These are definitely my 'feel good' colours in all shades, though I usually add a touch of blue. I find them really calming and very peaceful. 

Please go look at the gorgeous art created by the team
It would be lovely to see your Nature themed artwork of any kind during the next two weeks, so please join us over at Try it on Tuesday. This is my last post as a member of the Design Team. It's been a great learning curve and has kept me focussing on art during some very difficult months, but it's time to leave. Thank you to all of you for being such wonderful teamies and a source of encouragement. You're appreciated. I'll still visit your blogs regularly and, who knows? I may well even join the challenges, lol!
It's especially important to to focus on the good things in our lives and to enjoy some therapeutic, mind absorbing art! 
Have fun and lose yourself in creating 😁

Edited PS
I walked into my craft room last night, when it was dark and yay! My fluo Prismas on the giraffe I coloured a few days ago were really, REALLY glowing in the dark...I am so impressed 😊😉

Linking to
A Place to Start, Unconventional Materials (filler paste)
Crafty Friends Challenge, Spring Colours
My Time to Craft, Off the Edge
Time Out, Lots or a little purple
Simon Says Stamp Mondays, Spring Moodboard

Thanks for calling in today
Back soon
God bless you and keep you safe!
Cath
xxx

22 very kind comments from lovely people:

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful card! The softness of the colours and the stenciled flower look amazing, so peaceful and relaxing - perfect 😁. Thanks so much for being such an inspiration at Try it on Tuesday, it was a pleasure having you on our team! Wishing you a happy new week, stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

Meggymay said...

It is a beautiful card Cath and I enjoyed reading your post. I liked seeing the photos and stages in its creation. Thank you for sharing your art with us at Try it on Tuesdays, we will miss you there.
Stay safe and well.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I shall miss your fun cards here in the design part of the TIOT post Cath. This one is a beauty. Nice spring background, reminds me of the sky at sunset along with the first pop of green on the trees. Stay healthy my friend. Hugs-Erika

sandie said...

Cath, this is just dreamy-the paste worked out perfect and I just love the way you were able to blend it into this superb background and amazing subtle test-you got this past technique mastered now! Thanks for joining Time Out x

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful card Cath, your filler paste worked well on the gorgeous sunflower. Love the colour combo they blend so well together.
I will miss seeing your creativity at TioT, Take care.
Hugs, Avril xx

María said...

Wow beautiful card, great colours, a fantastic texture and that background is awesome, I love it.

Yeah the best thing to do these days is to focus on the good things, I think I've stopped of watching news channels at least almost three weeks ago, when it started the lockdown here in Spain, I agree with you the best thing is to disconnect, to enjoy simple things as nature, crafts, a good book... that is so important now.

Stay safe and healthy.

María, xx

DVArtist said...

Wow!!! Cath this is soooooo pretty. Those colors are mute but powerful. Well done indeed. Be safe and Elbow hugs.

Joan said...

A truly beautiful card Cath and the colours are so soft and pretty, love it.

( and yes.I'm on a bit of a C.I stamp obsession right now, new ones and also been getting out lots of older ones too)

Joan x

Helen said...

Beautiful card Cath! LOVE the tutorial on how you achieved such a gorgeous spring card! Just beautiful! And will miss you at TIOT (even if I just started!). ((HUS)) Helen

Marjut said...

Your card is so lovely.
Stay safe and well.
Marjut

froebelsternchen said...

This last card for TioT of you is something so beautifully and soft and peaceful!
I adore it!
Happy start of April , take good care of you!

Susi xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

It certainly is good to escape into Nature, even if ours is from our balcony most of the time! I love Spring flowers so this is a good time to be able to see them from our window.
I love the card you made, the colours are beautiful and I love the textured flower!
We will miss you here, although I'm sure you will still be making art on a regular basis!
As for the news, we try to catch the live announcements in the afternoons, but get slightly irritated by the reporters questions sometimes when all they seem to do is try to catch the speakers out. Some of the news items at the end of news programmes are often more uplifting as different people try to do something entertaining - there was family on singing new words to 'One more day' from Les Mis and it was so funny!
Take care, Hugs, Chrisxx

Diane said...

Wonderful texture, colors and fun design.

Hugs Diane

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful card -love the stencilled sunflower and the delicate colours of the background.
Carol x

Neet said...

I was sure I commented on this post but I cannot see it so - apologies.
I love the effect you got with using the filler - the ink seems to have slightly coloured the paste and it merges in ever so gently with the background. That background is gorgeous, so gentle and peaceful - it is lovely to see such a beautiful pastel background.
Thanks for sharing. Take care always but especially at this time.
Love and Blessings, Neet xx

Words and Pictures said...

Such lovely soft colours and the layers of stamping give great depth. The stencilled texture is fabulous.
Alison x

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

This is such a beautiful piece of art, Cath. I love all the texture, the colors and the heart that went into it. Thanks so much for joining us at Time Out.

Rosie said...

This is a very beautiful card, dear Cath.

All the best and stay healthy.

We see us at our blogs

Chana Malkah said...

I will have to give the filler paste a try because I think your sunflower is gorgeous! Beautiful choice and fabulous execution! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome work with us here at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Diane Louise J said...

Hello… Thanks for joining our challenge with your lovely pastel shades card… Please join us again next time at Crafty Friends. Good luck in the draw!
Diane Louise [Team Leader for Crafty Friends Challenge Blog]

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

The colours you have used for this card is so calming Cath it's as if it whisper's it's going to be alright in the end. I've missed quite a few of your posts but I was very glad I caught this one as I can wish you all the best on your creative journey you will be sadly missed by your TioT team and I too will miss your delightful creations there but look forward to trying to keep up with you on blogger..
Take care, stay safe & creative Hugs Tracey xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

So love this card Cath, saw it on 'Try It On Tuesday' and had to pop over for a better look. I love the colours and all the detail. Take care and have a lovely crafty week, Angela xxx