'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saturday 2 February 2019

Yellow is the theme of this month's challenge at Art Journal Journey

I have to confess that yellow it NOT one of my favourite colours, lol. I do use it a lot, but always with other colours - never on its own. I love seeing it on other people, but it makes me look seriously ill - or worse! Even when I've tried painting rooms yellow, I get headaches - or I did until I moved into this house. My living room is - as you probably guessed - yellow, though it's a very pale shade - banana, I think. I would never have chosen  it, but I can live with it until I get around to redecorating!

So, when I sat down, determined to do something,  I had absolutely no idea how I could bring myself to journal in yellows! My craft room was filled with  wonderful, bright  winter sunshine today, which made me think of sunshine...a good starting point.

Starting with a pale lemon (Lemonade) acrylic base in my 8x8 journal, I sponged some Sunshine Yellow through a roses stencil, added a contrasting back edge (an old Rollagraph made into a stamp) then added a strip of black card from my scraps stash. I spotted one of my smiling sheepz,  already coloured in yellows, so I used him, then added the die cut words. He looked so bright I had to make him shine...and add a few hearts because it turned out to be a really positive page and made me think of Spring!

We've had a lot of strong winds and a little snow this week - only one day of snow and, despite the sunshine and warmer temperature, my yard is still filled with it. I made a snowy card with Lynne Moncrief's (That's Crafty) lovely tree set because it was so cold. To be honest, it was almost filed in the bin, but I decided to try to salvage it, adding paler Oxide sponging and a bit of smooshing, though you can hardly see it. It may end up in my smaller journal!

 I've been using pinks and greys for a couple of things this week, and ended up with a rather pretty little mop up card, so I played with it and ended up with this...intending to make a tag, but I mounted it onto a grey background haven't yet decided what to do with it.
That's it for now.
I'll be back soon - probably tomorrow.
Thank you so much for visiting
Cath
xxx

17 very kind comments from lovely people:

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love a sunny day - so does your sheep by the look of it!! I also have difficulty using yellow in my crafting so this month will be a real challenge!!! I love the background! I love the card with the snowdrift on. I have a pink page in my journal and asset don't know ht i will do with it - I love the card you made!! I have go so far behind with commenting so I hope you will forgive that I have just had a look at your previous posts in an effort to catch up!! I loved the part of the journal page you showed. Hugs Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Yellow may not be your thing, but you certainly used it in a very positive and sunny way. I LIKE how you used different colors of yellow and made it a journal page of sheer beauty. Even the sheep is happy. Thanks for sharing it with us using Rike's theme this month at Art Journal Journey, dear Cath.

Rike said...

I am thrilled! You say yellow is not your colour - BUT you made a fantastic yellow page, Cath - even by using different shades of yellow, gave this background a wonderful contrast with black letters, hearts and points (great idea to use an old Rollagraph as stamping tool) - AND added this magical smiling sheep in a bright sunshine light!
I am glad you were at the end happy with your really positive page and I thank you so much for linking it to my theme "Yellow" at AJJ!
Rike xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

There's so much warmth in your yellow page Cath, it may not be a favourite but it sure gives a hug to us all. Love that wee sheep, so cute.
So glad you did not throw your second piece away, it's so atmospheric and deserved to be rescued. Your third would look super if framed where those poignant words can be reflected upon daily.
Thank you for sharing Cath, i've enjoyed my Sunday Visit.
Creative wishes Tracey x

froebelsternchen said...

I adore this beautiful page Cath and it made me happy that you challenged yourself to yellow for Art Journal Journey! I know that many of AJJ folk will not love yellow at the beginning of February but I am sure we will get to see many wonderful yellow art though!!!!
Thank you for playing along again!
And those two cards are amazing !
You never cease to amaze me Cath!
Happy Sunday!
Big hugs

Susi

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your art pieces all look fantastic. You did a great job with the yellow: I would never know you didn't like it if you hadn't said so. I especially like the words in the second artwork.

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

I've just popped in Cath to say thank you for your very kind and uplifting words, I really appreciate them. Now, I'm with you entirely on the 'Yellow' front. Years ago, I used to work most weekends and my Husband has always been one for surprising me. Anyway, one evening, I came home to find that he had painted the hallway Primrose Yellow. It had previously been Magnolia, which I was very happy with but he felt that we needed brightening up. The next morning, with full sunlight, I was shocked as to just how bright it actually was and I hated it with a passion. Much to my poor Husbands devastation, it was Magnolia again within a couple of weeks and at last, I could live peacefully again lol! Your journal page looks fabulous Cath and I adore the snow scene on Kraft card too. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day. Sandra x

hazel said...

A beautiful yellow page and lovely cards - I don’t usuallly do yellow but I’m hoping to be able to do a page for the challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful sunshiny page! I love the background that you created, it looks fabulous with the black die cuts and your fabulous sheep 😁. The shiny sheep reminds me of Jason and the Golden Fleece ...lol 😉. Thanks for the smiles and wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Inkyfingers said...

What a lovely artsy card Cath. I love the snowy impression on the kraft background, and the silhouette tree is perfect for your sentiment.
Thanks for sharing with us at ATSM and I hope you will join us again soon.

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic journal page and your yellow background for the page is so bright and sunny to see. Its been grey here all day.
The cards all looked awesome as well.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I love that cheeky sheep Cath. And yellow is the perfect color for that page.So full of warmth and joy! That sheep sure could be the sunshine of the flock. Hope it was a good weekend. Hugs-Erika

WendyK said...

Gorgeous sunny page, the sheep is a great addition. I don’t often work in yellow, so I’m building myself up to do a page, so far my mind is blank. Love the cards as well.

crafty-stamper said...

Your bright sunshine page is beautiful despite you not liking the colour and love the shining sheep a very positive page.Love the tree on the kraft card and great mop up card
Carol x

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

What a cheery sunny page, Cath. I love the rescued bending tree piece. Aren't you glad you didn't toss it?

Happy T-day! Eileen xx

Macimbalo said...

Such great work! Thanks for sharing at ATSM!

Misty Elam said...

I love the bright and cheery yellows. And that sheep is too cute!! Thanks for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge. I hope you’ll join us again soon ~
Misty