'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday 12 February 2019

There's a new challenge on the SSS Monday blog - Typography. I LOVE typography and was an avid collector of fonts until I tired of updating my laptop and software every time I had to reset my laptop, following a Windows 10 update - and that was a LOT of times!  But they're all still here on my laptop, waiting until I need them. I just think there's something incredibly magical about letters and words. Even when I was a kid - much to my mum's horror - I used to doodle letters and words all over every book I could find. As a teenager, that turned into decorating all my inner album sleeves (remember those, lol?) with words from the songs and quotes and lots of other doodles. I still do it when I'm on the phone and most of my uni text books are filled with doodles and words 😞 but now I can do it with stamps and magazine or book scraps. I don't do it often enough, so I was chuffed to notice that the challenge at SSS Monday is Typography - yay!  An excuse to play!

So here's my first offering... I thought this may be a card but I don't think it's quite the sort of thing anyone would like to receive, so... it will have to go into one of my journals. I've put it on black card to scan, but it's just a piece of card at the moment. 

I started with a gelli print, using some of my favourite colours, then gradually added stamping of letters and words in various inks, Neocolors and whatever else I could get my hands on. There's a Carabelle Studio  alphabet stamp in the background, too. I had to use these whimsical stamps - they were perfect for this and I really do like them. I love the way the colours turned out.


Here are a couple of closeups, to show the background more clearly.




There's also a Text Challenge at Inkspirational Challenges, so I'd like to link to that, too.

Thanks for calling in.

I'll be back soon...

Cath
xxx

13 very kind comments from lovely people:

froebelsternchen said...

The background itself is artsy and makes happy and the words and the green hair of this cutie makes it a cheerful and uplifting piece dear Cath!

Super!
Happy evening!
Hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous card and arty background, the type print and words are lovely.
Yvonne xx

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This is stunning! And I think anyone WOULD love to receive this if you did make it into a card! The background is gorgeous and you've made my girly stamp image look amazing. I loved reading your post, too, and am so glad your love of words and doodling and fonts lives on!

My name is Erika. said...

I'm playing a little bit of catch up tonight. I had a bunch of fonts too but when I got my new computer way back in 2014 I never updated them. And I do remember inner album sleeves. I think since albums are back sleeves might be back, but maybe now they don't put them into sleeves. I love your piece today and I am all for speaking of happy things! If only more people did that. Hope this week is going well for you. Hugs-Erika

Neet said...

A fabulous background Cath, what a gorgeous mx of colours you have used and each one works with the other. I think this would have been fine as a card and your figure with the lime green hair really stands out, yet blends in with the background.
I love lettering too - just wish I was good at doing it with a pen.
Hugs, Neet xx

hazel said...

I love your card Cath, the background’s fabulous. Have a lovely weekend.
xxx Hazel.

Let's Art Journal said...

A beautiful make and I think it would make a lovely card! I love the colours and all the different letters and fonts that are layered together - perfect 😁. It's turned warmer here and we've had some lovely sunshine the last couple of days, I hope you have too! Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

Sue said...

I love this Kath, gorgeous colours, and I'm a great fan of the 'whatever I can get my hands on technique. Have a great weekend, Sue xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your Happy Soul! The colours looks great - i think it's the green hair that really makes me smile ! Hugs, Chrisx

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous background love all the different inky layers and great stamps love the hair-turned the front of mine green once putting silver onto bleached hair lol I think it would make a brilliant card
Carol x

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous artwork Cath :-) the background is stunning and I love the girl and texts,, beautifully done :-)

Congratulations you have won the $50 voucher on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Please email us, there is a clickable link on the sidebar of the challenge blog :-)
luv
Lols x x x

SewPaperPaint said...

Cath, this is so amazingly awesome! I'm so happy to see you were the SSS winner with this creative masterpiece. I just bought this stamp set at convention on Saturday and now am really inspired to play! :) Hugs, Autumn

cm said...

The colours, the image, the typography, combined, make for a lovely work of art! Gorgeous! Thrilled you shared your creativity in the Inkspirational gallery!
~carol