'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Monday 12 November 2018

Today I’m giving thanks for glorious Autumn sunshine, brightening the world outside!  It really is a beautiful, sunny day (again) and doesn’t it make a difference?

There’s a ‘Resist It’ Challenge at Fashionable Stamping.

I love stamping techniques and my favourite all time technique is  definitely Resist, in all its variations. There are a quite a few different ways to get that ‘resist’ effect and Nancy Curry wrote a book on them… and yes, I have it Smile I must get it out and jog my memory.

I had a play with Faux Batik – just a quick one because my time was limited – I may just have to come back to this in a day or two. Basically, you just stamp an image in Versamark, clear emboss it, then add colour and other images over the top. To achieve the ‘faux batik’ look, you place a piece of paper/kitchen towel over the image, put a hot iron over it and melt off the embossing powder, leaving a white image behind.

A few years ago I experimented with placing another piece of cardstock over the image, instead of using scrap, and using that reverse image to make something else. To my delight (and absolute, sheer excitement at the time) it worked.

Today’s offerings are an example of this, though the image I chose didn’t, perhaps, show the technique too clearly. You can just about see the reverse image on the second card – I hope!

I used Distress Oxides on the first and Distress inks on the second – dye inks work better because they don’t obliterate the image.  Oxides give better coverage and so don’t show the effect as well.

This is the first ‘resist’ image, ironed off, after stamping the words and adding colour, then overstamped with the black images.

NG12 FSC RESIST

Here’s the second, using the reverse image from the above… and Distress dye inks. I also used my favourite ‘feel good’ colours – Turquoise, blue and violet.

NG12 FSC RESIST 2

I just picked up a stamp that happened to be lying on my (very untidy) beautifully organised desk but now I’m seeing it again, I should have used the original image for the background stamping…I may have thought of that IF I’d cleaned my stamp straight away Winking smile

I’ll link this to

Dare 2B Artsy’s ‘Thanks’ challenge (it’s a thank you card for a friend)

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge – Thanks/Thanksgiving

and to

AEDM – Art Every Day Month in November

Thanks for looking

Back soon

Cath

xxx

9 very kind comments from lovely people:

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks for reminding me of these 2 fun and cool techniques. I'd forgotten about them. I love your "quick" pieces. And I know so much about those beautifully tidy-ha-ha-worktables. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

johanna said...

the resist pictures came out beautifully! i always forget about these techniques... good reminder! xox

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful cards! The resist technique worked wonderfully and I love the designs and colours of the cards you created - fabulous 😀. I hope you've had a lovely weekend, sorry I haven't visited earlier but we had an unexpected surprise with friends visiting so I now have a lot of blogging to catch up on ...lol 😉. Wishing you a happy new week! J 😊 x

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Cath, isn't it wonderful when we try something and it works! I love the effect that it gives.
Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.
Dot x
Ink Art Designs

Meggymay said...

A super technique Cath and I think both your cards look wonderful.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love these Cath, great techniques too,thanks for the reminder! Hugs,Chrisx

Mrs.B said...

I love both cards Cath and it's a super resist technique to get two backgrounds from one stamping.
Thanks for sharing with us at FSC.
Avril xx

Pam MacKay said...

Love all of the pretty background so perfect for the silhouette image! Thanks for joining the Dare 2B Artzy challenge this month DT Member Pam

Crafty Pink Pixie said...

These backgrounds are so pretty! Love both color combos and the layered stamping! Thanks for participating in the Dare 2B Artzy November Challenge! -Tasha ☺