'What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you say.'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday 29 November 2018

Today, I am thankful for language and words.

I’m really enjoying my current book – the latest Sansom novel, Tombland, and I actually look forward to bedtime, so I can go back to England 1549, and relive the peasants’ revolt and catch up with the characters.

A really good book can make us feel we’re actually living in the story and this is one of those that does it for me So I started thinking about language and words and how important they are. I don’t usually watch a lot of TV, but lately, I’ve been watching a lot of French dramas  – thanks to More 4 – so that’s why I sometimes find myself in ‘French mode’. I lived in the suburbs of Paris for a short time and have never tired of being besotted with the French language… I just think it’s so graceful. Yet, they have far fewer words at their disposal than we English do and there are things that are really difficult to express in French.

I can’t help but think about what the Bible says:-

‘The tongue has the power of life and death’ (Proverbs 18).

It’s so true. We can use our words to bless or to harm people. So here’s my page for today…

NG29 BOOKS LANGUAGE WORDS

I went hunting for my collection of words torn or cut from various magazines and was pleased to find they weren’t a casualty of my recent ruthless clearout! I just stuck them onto my page randomly and added a few of my own. There was definitely no plan here, lol.

I’m linking this to AEDM

aedmlogored

and to

Art Journal Journey’s Vintage or Modern

Have a great Thursday!

Thanks for stopping by…

Back soon

Cath

xxx

7 very kind comments from lovely people:

johanna said...

i love your page - and you are right: we should definitely care about our words. they can hurt, even without intention... very thoughtful post, thanks!

Neet said...

The pen is mightier than the sword comes to mind - yes, words ... can mean so much ... can be so different ... hurtful ... compassionate.
Love your page in your journal, what an inspiring blog post and page you have for us today Cath.
Thanks for taking the time to compile all those 'words'.
Hugs, Neet xx

froebelsternchen said...

Yes, our words and our thoughts - both should be choosen wisely!
A fantastic page!
Enjoy your book! Sounds interesting!
I can't fall asleep without reading as well.
Even though I LOVE to enjoy movies on Netflix or documentaries. TV is much too boring these days with all the advertising...

Thank you very much for joining Erika's theme yet again! Much appreciated dear Cath! Big hugs, Susi

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am SO glad you saved those words. They made a fabulous journal entry. They say tons without saying anything specific or connected. This was a most effective page, ingenious, and smart. It was even better that you shared it wit us at Art Journal Journey.

Meggymay said...

Words are powerful tools and no doubt should be used with care and sensitivity. I also like to read at bedtime, a really good way to end the day.
I love your journal page and the way you added so many random words to create a page.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

This is a great word collage Cath. I am with you, a good book that takes you someplace else is such a great experience. Words are a great theme for a page! One more day and it will be December! Hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

Thanks also for joining us at AJJ again Cath! Much appreciated!